Personal injury lawyers serve as able advocates who fight for the rights of those who have been severely injured as a result of someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing. If you have suffered injuries as the result of any type of traumatic event such as a car accident, workplace injury, slip-trip-and-fall accident or a dog bite, you are probably wondering about how to receive compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, rehabilitation costs and other ongoing expenses relating to care and treatment.
Our California personal injury lawyers have the knowledge, skill and experience to help our clients seek and obtain maximum compensation for their injuries, damages and losses. The personal injury claim process is often riddled with obstacles and potential missteps that could jeopardize maximum recovery. We are here to help you get justice and fair compensation for the injuries and losses you have endured.
Why Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
If you have suffered serious injuries in any type of traumatic event, there are a number of good reasons why it would be in your best interest to retain the services of an experienced personal injury lawyer. Here are some of the main reasons to get an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side:
• Knowledge and expertise: Lawyers gain knowledge and expertise through continuing education and experience. Injury attorneys understand the nuances of tort law. They know how courts have ruled on similar cases and how they can leverage your situation to help you obtain maximum compensation. A lawyer can also help explain what your personal injury case is worth. In addition, your lawyer can advise you regarding the appropriate parties to sue in order to receive compensation.
• Evaluating damages: This could be extremely tricky. While some damages such as medical expenses, lost wages and other quantifiable losses are fairly simple to ascertain, there are other damages that require more thought and consideration. For example, victims often find themselves trying to determine how much they will need for future medical expenses or how much they will need if they have been catastrophically injured and can’t earn a livelihood like they used to prior to the injury. Lawyers will be able to work with medical and economic experts to come up with a number with which you are comfortable and one that is fair.
• Investigation: Many do not realize the amount of investigation that is required to handle a personal injury claim. Some personal injury claims may be simple and straightforward. However, a majority of cases aren’t as simple. Your personal injury lawyer can help conduct an independent investigation and prove your claims against negligent or responsible parties. Lawyers may work with law enforcement agencies, accident reconstruction specialist and a host of other experts to analyze every fragment of evidence that could have an impact on your personal injury case.
• Evidence preservation: Your personal injury case is often only as good as the evidence you can provide to prove your claim. Your attorney can help secure evidence in the case by sending what is known as a “spoliation letter” to all parties involved in the case. This helps ensure that crucial evidence in your case is not lost, destroyed or misplaced.
• Navigation: It’s not an easy task to comprehend and navigate our legal system. There are several steps and layers when it comes to personal injury claims and your lawyer can serve as an able guide in helping you navigate this terrain. There are also many pitfalls injured clients may fall into during the process. Having an experienced lawyer by your side will minimize the chances of you making catastrophic mistakes that could jeopardize your claim.
• Negotiation: Personal injury attorneys are naturally skilled negotiators. While some personal injury cases do go to trial, a vast majority of these cases are settled out of court. A skilled personal injury lawyer will know which facts and details can be used to negotiate a settlement that works to your advantage. Often times, clients observe that compensation they receive is directly related to the negotiating skills of their injury lawyer.
• Trial experience: A number of cases do settle out of court. But, the fact remains, that you need an attorney who has trial experience so he or she will be able to argue your case in front of a judge and jury, if that’s what needs to be done in order to win.
What Should You Look for in an Attorney?
First and foremost, the attorney you are hiring should have significant experience and a successful track record handling cases that are similar to yours. When you are looking to hire an attorney, you should consider someone who exclusively does personal injury cases. Lawyers who spread themselves thin handling criminal defense, personal injury, business law and other types of cases may not have the knowledge or the resources to handle your particular case.
You also need an attorney who has sufficient resources to conduct investigations, especially in catastrophic injury or product defect cases. Without these resources, the law firm might not be able to compile and present the evidence that is required in order to seek maximum compensation in your case.
You also want an attorney who works on a contingency fee basis. This means that the lawyers don’t charge you any fees until they have recovered compensation for you. They get paid only if you get paid. This also means that you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by retaining a personal injury lawyer.